There’s no getting around it — as we get older, our skin changes. Fine lines and wrinkles appear, skin becomes drier and loses elasticity, and age spots (dark spots) become more visible. But that doesn’t mean you have to accept these changes as inevitable. With a proactive, preventive and protective approach, you can keep your skin looking healthy, smoother and firmer for longer.
In this blog post, we’ll run through the characteristics of ageing skin, reveal the most effective ingredients and products to build your best-ever skincare regimen — including the best professional facial treatment for ageing skin — and share useful skincare tips and lifestyle habits to keep your skin looking healthy at any age. Let’s dive in!
the signs of skin ageing: what to look out for
Throughout our lives, our faces go through a lot of changes. Our skin loses its firmness and becomes more translucent. We lose fat, and our bones change shape. Even our teeth shift around in our mouths. All of this can add up to a face that looks very different from the one we had when we were younger. But at what age does your face change the most — and crucially, when does the skin ageing process begin to accelerate?
For most people, the answer is around the age of 40, although 30 is when we begin to see a decline in collagen and elastin. The loss of these proteins also causes the skin to become less elastic, which contributes to the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Additional characteristics of ageing skin include:
- Darker pigmentation — The result of accumulated exposure to UV rays and pollution.
- Skin tone discolouration - A decrease in pigment-containing cells called melanocytes means the colouring of our skin becomes uneven and will appear lighter in some areas.
- Increased pore size — As your skin loses its elasticity, coupled with solar damage, it stretches and sags, making pores appear more prominent.
- Reduced oil production — This makes it harder to keep the skin moist, resulting in dryness and itchiness.
- Reduced volume — The fatty tissues beneath the skin begin to break down, leading to a loss of definition in the face.
- Rough skin texture - This is due to cell turnover and renewal slowing down as we age, resulting in an excess build-up of dead skin cells on the skin’s surface.
Of course, everyone ages differently, so there’s no hard and fast rule about when exactly you’ll start to notice the signs of skin ageing, or how quickly they’ll progress.
the most effective facial treatments for ageing skin
While these changes can be frustrating, there are many facial treatments that can help rejuvenate the skin. For the best results, it’s important to choose a treatment that is tailored to your skin type and factors in any other skin concerns you may have. For example, oily ageing skin will likely benefit from using a non-foaming cleanser and a light gel moisturiser that won’t clog pores. Meanwhile, dry skin types are better suited to deeply hydrating creams and skin-buffing exfoliators, such as a rich overnight serum and daily exfoliant. People with sensitive skin should avoid overloading the skin with potent actives, which can trigger irritation and redness, whereas those with adult acne will benefit from applying these ingredients regularly.
Backed by scientific research, Dermalogica’s specially-formulated line of products to address signs of skin ageing makes it easy to adapt your skincare routine and keep your skin looking and feeling its healthiest. Here are our go-to products for signs of ageing skin:
- Intensive Moisture Cleanser — This light, creamy formula cleanses skin to minimise damage to vital proteins and lipids that defend against dryness. Lather a pea-size amount into wet hands, massage your face and rinse away for cleaner, softer, more luminous skin.
- Daily Superfoliant — Fight the environmental triggers known to accelerate skin ageing with this advanced powder formula. Activated Binchotan Charcoal purifies the skin while Alpha Hydroxy Acids resurface and deeply cleanse, leaving you with ultrasmooth, protected skin.
- Super Rich Repair — A heavyweight moisturiser that helps to replenish the skin’s natural moisture levels overnight, with powerful peptides that support skin resilience and tone, and Shea Butter and Oil of Evening Primrose for a boost of hydration.
- Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque — Rescue stressed, ageing skin with this ultra-replenishing weekly masque. It’s loaded with high concentrations of Vitamins A, C and E, and Linoleic Acid, which strengthen and restore damaged skin to enhance its barrier properties.
- Age Reversal Eye Complex — Delivering potent age-fighting actives deep into the skin, the clever microencapsulation technology in this cream optimises Retinol absorption, to help reduce the appearance of fine lines around the delicate eye area.
- Overnight Retinol Repair — Harness the power of active 0.5% microencapsulated pure Retinol to accelerate skin renewal and repair as you sleep. The formula also contains clinically proven bio-energised Copper Amino Acids to visibly reduce wrinkles, plus Ceramides and Polysaccharides to plump and nourish the skin.
- Phyto-Nature Firming Serum — With just one application, this dual-phase serum combines highly active botanicals with biomimetic technology that mimics age declining skin processes, to reduce visible signs of ageing while revitalising skin luminosity.
preventative measures to keep ageing skin looking younger for longer
While there’s no way to put the brakes on the skin ageing process, there are a number of things you can do to ensure your skin stays soft, supple and healthy. Follow our preventative tips to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and age spots:
- always use SPF — Exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays speeds up the skin ageing process by breaking down the proteins that provide firmness and elasticity. Wear an SPF of 30 or higher, even if you don’t plan on spending time outdoors, and 50 or higher if you’re using retinoids, as they cause photosensitivity. For a sunscreen and moisturiser in one that combats the appearance of skin ageing, Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50 is a medium-weight formula that boosts skin hydration. Enriched with powerful antioxidants like White Tea, this unique formula also helps to improve the appearance of photoaged skin. For a sunscreen that shields against dark spots while reducing uneven pigmentation and balancing skin tone, our Powerbright Moisturiser SPF50 should be your go-to - it’s also a daytime moisturiser. Infused with hydrating Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide, Licorice Root Extract and Bisabolol, this powerful formula works to strengthen the skin’s moisture barrier while brightening and soothing irritation.
- protect against pollution — Pollution oxidises the lipid layer in the skin, impairing the skin-barrier function — resulting in increased sebum (oil) excretion, dehydration, uneven skin tone, dullness and premature signs of skin ageing. Protecting against environmental aggressors and applying SPF will prevent these age accelerating environmental triggers..
- exfoliate regularly — As you age, your skin’s natural exfoliation process slows down. Exfoliating speeds up cellular turnover, softening fine lines and wrinkles and diminishing hyperpigmentation to reveal brighter, more radiant skin.
- cleanse gently — How you apply your products matters, too. Avoid scrubbing your skin too harshly when you’re washing your face, as this can damage delicate skin and make fine lines and wrinkles more visible.
- moisturise daily — Ageing skin is more susceptible to dryness, so it’s important to keep it well-moisturised. Look for a moisturiser suitable for your skin type and apply it every morning and night after a nourishing serum.
- experiment with microneedling — Microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that can help to improve the appearance of ageing skin. The process involves using fine needles to create tiny punctures, which trigger the body’s healing response, stimulating collagen and elastin production. At Dermalogica, we offer a PRO Microneedling service that delivers advanced results for minimising the appearance of hyperpigmentation, deep pores and skin wrinkles. Following your treatment, you can incorporate PRO Restore into your skincare routine to reduce downtime, accelerate skin healing and improve skin recovery. This professional firming concentrate prepares the skin barrier prior to skin needling, restores its overall condition and helps increase skin firmness and luminosity.
- restoring lost collagen — While it may seem like your depleted collagen stores are lost forever, there are a few ways to help your body regain some of this essential protein. One way to do this is through your diet. Eating foods rich in Vitamin C and consuming plenty of anti-inflammatory Omega-3 Fatty Acids can help promote collagen synthesis. Using Retinol, Peptides, and Vitamin C products can also stimulate collagen production, and treatments like microneedling and red LED light therapy can encourage collagen growth. Coupled with skincare designed to stimulate collagen production, regular exercise is one of the best ways to combat these effects. Getting active promotes collagen production — particularly high-intensity interval training, or ‘HIIT’.